The  President of the Dockworkers branch of the Maritime Workers’Union of Nigeria (MWUN), Comrade Ibrahim Ohize, has narrated the heroic feat of maritime workers, port police and Nigeria Customs Service officers in foiling the attempt of hoodlums who masqueraded as #ENDSARS protesters to raze down the Apapa and Tin Can Island ports.

Comrade Ohize who spoke on the heels of the torching of the NPA headquarters by hoodlums, said that though the hoodlums had  their ways into the port, the port labourers matched them guts for guts and drove them out of the ports on the orders of Comrade Adewale Adeyanju, the National President of the MWUN before they could unleash havoc  on the port facilities.

Comrade Ohize said the incident took place a day before the torching of the headquarters building of the Nigerian Ports Authority in Marina, Lagos.

He stated that Adeyanju instructed dockworkers to protect their place of work and not allow anyone to infiltrate the port or unleash any form of  mayhem on government facilities.

He added that the President General had gotten wind of the assault and hence the call to secure the ports.

“Some freight forwarders also used the occasion to demand for some policy amendments in the cargo clearing process at the port.

“The recent incident that just happened during the #EndSARS protest, if not for the grace of God and the PG, they would have burnt down the ports because when the story came in, he called me and asked me to tell all my boys to protect where they are working and they did.

“He (Adeyanju) told me that I should inform my boys that they should not allow the hoodlums to enter and some of my boys stood at the gate very early in the morning.

“When they wanted to come in, with the help of the boys, police and Customs officers, we were able to keep them out.

The Apapa Port in Lagos

“Nobody expected them to come in because they were at the round-about singing and chanting war songs but after sometimes, they just started coming in.

“They attempted the port first but when they could not succeed, they moved to the NPA building in Marina where they vandalized and burnt down the corporate headquarters. The governmemt would not know what the PG did to avert the mayhem until they start hearing stories from people,” Ohize said.