Six persons were confirmed dead while nine others suffered various degrees of injuries on Tuesday in a ghastly accident involving an articulated vehicle and a Toyota bus around Car Park C on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

The horrible incident was confirmed by Mr. Ahmed Umar, the Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ogun command, in an interview with the newsmen in Abeokuta.

Umar disclosed that the accident which occurred around 11:53am, was caused by the driver of the truck marked FZE 376 DI who drove recklessly, lost control and hit the bus with registration number ZUR 843 XA from the rear.

He said the driver of the bus immediately lost control and the bus somersaulted.

He said that 20 people were involved in the accident which comprised 16 male adults, three female adults and one male child.

The sector commander explained that five male adults and one female adult died in the accident, while seven male, one female and one male child were injured.

He said that the driver of the truck tried to escape but was caught and taken to MTD Redeemed Police Division, Mowe.

The FRSC boss noted that the injured persons were taken to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu and Idera Hospital in Sagamu.

He added that the corpses of the deceased were taken away by their families for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.

In the meantime, a motorboat sank in Lake Kivu in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), leaving two people killed and at least 20 others missing, Congolese news portal 7sur7 reported on Wednesday.

According to the report, the boat capsized overnight Wednesday en route from the province of North Kivu to South Kivu.

There is no clarity at this point as to how many people were on board.

“The accident took place around 10 p.m. local time (21:00 GMT).

“The exact number of people on board has not yet been established, but it is certainly over 60.

Some sources say over 100. More than 40 people were rescued,” the head of a local civil council, Delphin Birimbi, told the news portal.

Search and rescue operations reportedly continue.